Having a good smile can boost your confidence, especially if you have properly aligned teeth. For people with misaligned or crooked teeth, you need not frown because there is a way to straighten your teeth!
If you want to know how to straighten your teeth, there are some misaligned teeth treatments for you to try. But before we get into that, let us first discuss some causes of misaligned or crooked teeth.
What are the Causes of Crooked Teeth?
Both baby teeth and permanent teeth can be naturally crooked, or they can become crooked due to several reasons. Here are some of the most common causes of crooked or misaligned teeth:
- Jaw Size – The food we have today is softer compared to what ancient people used to eat. According to scientists, that is one of the reasons why people nowadays have smaller jaws compared to people in ancient times. With the change in jaw size, misaligned teeth have higher chances of occurring.
- Poor Habits – Another cause of having crooked teeth is some poor and repetitive habits such as sucking your thumb and thrusting your tongue.
- Poor Oral Care Routine – Not visiting your dentist on a regular basis can cause gum diseases, which can be the cause of crooked teeth and other oral health issues as well.
- Malnutrition – Malnutrition can cause different oral health issues such as tooth decay. It can also cause poor dental development. Both of these issues can lead to having crooked or misaligned teeth.
- Facial Injury – Getting your teeth knocked out of place can be a cause for crooked teeth.
- Genetics – If both or either one of your parents has crooked teeth, you are likely to have the same condition too.
Regardless of the cause, there are ways to get straight teeth. Professional dentists and orthodontists can check your teeth and advise you on the suitable misaligned teeth treatment based on the condition of your teeth.
How to Straighten Teeth?
The decision to straighten teeth is optional. If having crooked teeth does not cause you pain or any other issue, you can choose not to undergo any treatment. However, if you want to have your teeth straightened for aesthetic purposes, you may seek help from an orthodontist. They are the ones who are knowledgeable about this issue. However, here are some of the treatments they might recommend:
For most people, braces are the most viable option. If you are not into wearing metal braces, there are other types of misaligned teeth braces that you can opt for. Here are some of them:
- Ceramic Braces – Unlike metal braces, this type of braces is usually clear or of the same color as the teeth. If you do not want other people to notice that you are wearing braces, this is one of your best options. However, ceramic braces are more prone to breaking easily compared to metal ones.
- Invisible Braces – Invisible braces, as their name implies, are not easily detectable. They are made with clear plastic, and they are sometimes called aligners. This type is not for those who have severely crooked teeth. Usually, invisible braces take a longer time to align teeth compared to metal ones.
- Lingual Braces – This type of braces looks like metal braces, but this one is attached to the backside of the teeth. Lingual braces are very hard to clean, and they are expensive. Just like the invisible braces, lingual braces also take longer to do the job compared to metal ones.
To those who do not like the first option, there is another way to straighten teeth without braces. If you want to get results immediately, teeth-straightening surgery is your best option.
Sometimes, dentists and orthodontists will recommend minor surgeries, but there are other conditions that might require major surgeries involving jaw realignment. Teeth-straightening surgeries are more costly compared to braces.
What to Expect When You Visit a Dentist or an Orthodontist?
During your visit with a dentist or an orthodontist, expect them to assess your teeth thoroughly. You can also expect them to give you advice about the best way to straighten your teeth. They will recommend treatments that would suit the condition of your teeth, your lifestyle, and your oral habits.
If you have other questions on how to get straight teeth, Sunrise Dentistry is here to help you! We provide holistic dentistry in Durango, CO. Feel free to contact us for any questions or inquiries. Our team will be more than happy to assist you!